Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Iron Craft Challenge # 5 - Something 'Green'



Its another Iron Craft reveal day. This time we are up to challenge # 5. Since St. Patrick's Day is almost upon us the challenge was to craft something that was green or 'green'. Crafters could take this in two different ways, either make something with the color green or do something that is going green, like repurposing something or using recycled materials. Green is my absolute favorite color and I have a lot of green stuff, however I am trying to do different things for Iron Craft, so I went for the ladder, something 'green'.

I have been sewing since I was in high school and I have always collected my scraps. Fabric can be pretty pricy so I keep every last bit because you never know when you will be able to use it for a future project. So after sewing on and off for about 10 years I have racked up quite the collection of scraps. Its starting to get out of hand. Since all of the pieces are really tiny to make big project, I decided to sew them together for a patchwork effect. So I had my materials but still at a loss for a project, what could I make out of all these scraps?! 

A while back I enrolled in a bunch of Craftsy classes. A series of free classes were recently released. Some are hosted by Kristen Link (from one of my favorite sewing blogs, Sew Mama Sew). In the classes Bag Making Basics, one of the projects is making a bucket bag. Since it didn't require too much fabric I decide to give it a try.  

Here is the finished product! Its not the most beautiful thing because I had made some odd fabric choices when I started sewing. At one point I used the checkerboard stuff to make myself pillows, I was really into Ska back then. The bucket bag was perfect for all of my knitting stuff. I especially love that the pockets hole the needles and other notions! 



2 comments:

  1. I hold on to all those scraps myself. This was a good way to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! My scrap collection was getting out of hand. Its a good way to tame the beast!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...