This year at the library Margaret and I thought we need some special costumes. I thought who better than our favorite Mo Willems' duo, Elephant and Piggie!
I looked around at some other costumes for ideas. Some looked really involved and a bit too silly for Margaret and I. After cleaning out a closet I found some left over crafts from a Mo Willems party and some craft foam. A light bulb went off and I began planning our costumes!
We had some spare pieces from Elephant and Piggie paper bag puppets. I used those pieces to make a template and traced them out on foam. I love that Mo will purposely make his characters simple because he wants his younger readers to be able to draw them, so making these costumes were easy. I then cut out the foam pieces, glued them together and added some elastic. They came out looking really cute!
Here is how you can make your own Elephant & Piggie Costumes!
- Materials & Tools:
- Sharpie marker
- Craft foam (Pink & Gray)
- Hot glue gun
- T-shirt (Pink & Gray)
- Print out or draw your pattern pieces, then cut them out
- Lay the pattern over craft foam and trace them with a pencil. Piggie pieces go on pink foam and Elephant pieces on gray.
- Go over the pencil with a sharpie and fill in the details of the characters.
- Cut out all of your foam pieces
- Use the hot glue gun and put all of the pieces together and allow to dry
- Take the elastic and measure it around your head. Make sure you cut it a bit smaller than what you measured so that it will fit nicely on your head.
- Once the hot glue on the foam dries, use it to attach the elastic. Allow to dry.
- Try it on and wear a matching color T-shirt.