This is one style of bag that I have wanted to learn how to make for a while. Drawstring bags can be versatile. Small pouches are great scrap busters, especially if you have long pieces that can be used for the drawstring! You can also make them to fit a wine bottle (which adds a nice touch to a gift). You can even apply this technique to make a big bag for something like laundry.
- Sewing machine
- Rotary cutter/Scissors
- Safety pin
- Measure and cut the bag
- (this bag can fit any size big or small, just make sure it is a rectangular shape with the skinny side being the opening)
- For this example the bag is : 8 inches length x 10 inches width
- Add a 1/2 inch seam allowance, and a 2 inch seam allowance for the top.
- Measure and cut the Drawstring
- The strap must be at least twice as long as the width of your bag
- The width is determined by how you want the finished drawstring to be, the multiply it by 4.
- Example bag drawstring is: 12 length x 2 inches width
- Make the Drawstring
- Fold the drawstring in half then press
- Open up, then fold each edge toward the fold, then press
- Fold up again, then press
- Pin and sew
- (But Sarina what about the raw edges! I know let me get to it!)
- Fold over the ends and do a zig-zag stitch on the ends
- You may want to use a think needle for this step because you are sewing through a lot of layers.
Step 3: Drawstring hole
- Take one piece for the body of the bag.
- Measure where the hole will be. This should be at least 1 inch from the top
- This should be at least 1 inch from the top raw edge
- Make sure the hole will be big enough to fit your drawstring.
- Use the button hole attachment on your machine (or you can triangle stitch along your measurements)
- Use a seam ripper to create your hole
Step 4: Assemble the bag
- Law two body pieces on top of each other, right sides facing.
- Pin along the edge then sew
- Leave the top edge (with the button hole) open. Do not sew this together.
- Use the triangle stitch to sew up the raw edges
- Fold the top edge inward, sew along the raw edge
- this will create the tube in which your drawstring will go through
- Fold bag inside out
- Use attach a safety pin to your drawstring