Tuesday, April 3, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favor

The Hunger Games movie finally came out and I feel that I wouldn't be a proper nerd craft librarian if I didn't comment on it.

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/3/30/the-hunger-
games-fun-series-of-propaganda-posters.html
For those of you that are unfamiliar with the movie or books, the Hunger Games was the first part of a trilogy of Young Adult novels by Suzanne Collins. The story centers on Katniss Everdeen who does her best to survive in a dystopian country of Panem ruled by the Capital. Every year a boy and a girl are chosen from one of twelve districts to complete to the death, all of which is broadcast all over the country. Essentially its like Running Man with teenagers.

It seems like more than ever Hollywood has been scooping up books for big screen adaptations and this always gets readers a little scared because they can screw it up very badly! (For examples see the Grinch, Alice in Wonderland, the Golden Compass etc. we can go on and on ). I was really nervous going into the Hunger Games because I loved the books and they were amazing. I was also really curious to see how they were going to do certain things. Luckily for me and the other Hunger Game fans, Suzanne Collins actually wrote the screen play. The Hunger Games movie was good, that's not to say it was completely perfect, but I am here to pick out what I loved about it and what I wasn't too crazy about.

The movie over-all was a great cinematic experience. The film captured the same tone of the books, that feeling of despair and sadness from living in the world in which the districts of Panem are enslaved and live in proverty to support the Capital. Film also captured the setting quite well. I had always pictured District 12 and the Seam to be an industrial waste land and was not disappointed when the film took a slightly different take when the film's District 12 resembled 1930s Appalachia with quaint little houses and it being a mining town.I loved how this drastically contrasted with the lush futuristic Capital complete with cyber punk looking citizens. I was pleased with how the books honored these aspects but I also enjoyed how the film portrayed the game makers. While reading the books I had a hard time visualizing the behind the scenes of the arena and loved that the film took us there.



Casting was another score. All of the major characters were cast perfectly from Katniss, Cinna, Haymitch, Peeta. My personal favorite was Stanley Tucci as Cesear Flickerman.However I do I have one big gripe with this movie and it involved the casting! The character Gale is a minor character in the first of the trilogy but he becomes part of the love triangle and all that jazz. From how he was described in the book and how district 12 is portrayed this movie really expect me to believe that Liam Helmsworth is Gale? During the reaping if Katniss looks like a hill-billy farm girl, why the hell does Gale look like a Gap model?! Just makes me more Team Peeta all the way.

The movie has been out for a while and just like the books, it has stirred up some controversy. A lot of people are saying it is an American-ized Battle Royale (which is a great movie by the way) I can see how it is with the obvious kids fighting to the death part. However a big basis of the book series is on the spectacle the government makes the games out to be. Which thanks to Katniss, then spurs revolution. So to those people saying it ripped off something else...you can make the argument that everybody has ripped off everybody.. get over it! This next bit of controversy I read on Jezebel. Apparently some fans of the books are racists pieces of garbage.

http://jezebel.com/5897416/bad-news-hunger-games-amandla-stenberg-
knows-about-the-racist-tweets

I am shocked by this! I mean our President is black for crying out loud! I don't want to end on a bad note so to cut the tension here is a funny poster from Geek Tyrant.

If you want to see some more Hunger Games themed funnies check out this post from Michele at Short Girl, Long Island.



1 comment:

  1. Loved your review! I'm so mad we have to wait until 2014 for Catching Fire. Hopefully they'll be able to move it up to 2013.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...