Saturday, December 8, 2012

Mug Shots


Some of nerdo friends, a few of them came over the other night and we had ourselves a little craft night. It seems that since a lot of people are still in school and the hurricane it has thrown a lot of things off. So after going the whole month of November with out a craft night, I called Michele and said 'girl we gotta meet up.' I had the idea of making possible Christmas gifts, because you know...tis the season.

Michele perfecting mugtastic-ness
I got some pin-spiration which led me to the blog, The Sweetest Occasion. It had great instructions and I decided that I needed to try it. I stopped at the Dollar Tree (guys this is my new favorite place!)
So we sat in my craft dungeon, waiting for some idea to come to us. We were on our iPhones waiting for inspiration to hit when I mentioned possibly doing something Harry Potter related like a snitch or a lightening bolt. Morgan suggested that I make his face. I really like the idea of drinking coffee out of Harry Potter's head, so I went for it! Morgan sketched out some tree branches while Michele went for some funky ass shapes. It was fun making them and just chatting with the gals. After we were done we baked those bad boys in the oven. Here are the results!



The next morning I made use of Potter mug. It made coffee taste all the more magical! I also plan on making another trip to the dollar store and stocking up on more mugs because I think these are going to be everyones christmas presents this year (to those that read the blog, act surprised!) I'll even get some hot cocoa or K-Cups and stick in the little muggles (get it? Potter humor) 



If you want to make your own here is what I did to make them. I followed the instructions from this blog I mentioned earlier (the Sweetest Occasion)


Materials & Tools

  • White ceramic mug
  • An array of sharpie markers 
  • Oven 
Instructions

  • Clean those mugs good! I used soap, water and a bit of windex 
  • Think of something super neato to put on your mug
  • Start drawing your design. Its ok if you make a mistake! Break out that windex and wipe away the oops.
  • Now you can bake 'em! DO NOT PRE-HEAT! The ceramic is very sensitive to temperature. So stick them in the over THEN turn the over to 350 * 
  • Set a timer for 30 minutes. After the timer is done, turn the oven off let' the mugs cool.
  • Then enjoy! 
  • F.Y.I. best not to put them in the dishwasher or microwave

17 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this Michele sent me pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its super easy and quite fun. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I have and the black has held up fine, however the red has rubbed off a bit. It appears to be because of the type of mug I used which already has a glace on it.One of my friends used another type of mug and hers is not having this problem.

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I'm always trying to think of ways to freshen up the sharpie mug craft! I read a blogger somewhere that said she baked hers @425 and had no problems? I'm thinking I will try that next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that post to! I have to try that. I also read about some one using the sharpie paint markers as well.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for submitting this to GeekCrafts - just featured it here: http://geekcrafts.com/harry-potter-sharpie-mug/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this and when I washed them (by hand), they all washed off. Sadly we gave some as gifts without washing ours first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of mine washed off too. If you bake it at 400 for a 10 minutes longer it does better.

      Delete
  7. Since most people put their mugs in the microwave at some point or another and often use dishwashers it all seems sadly kind of pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend the microwave because I'm not sure how the marker reacts to the heat. As for the dishwasher, if you use sharpie paint pens they have a better chance in the dishwasher.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great idea about mugs. buy online trophy, custom trophy, corporate gifts

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is excellent post over the simply web smtp server provider and wonderful creation

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...