Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Mail Organizer (Tutorial)

Its been a while since I posted one of these things! A while back I got fed up with the growing mail pile that just accumulated on my counter. To put an end to it, I decided enough was enough! I also just so happen to have a ton of this burlap bunting with antique keys printed on them. So I put two and two together and this is what I came up with:



It was a fairly easy project, good for beginner sewers. Here is how I accomplished fashionable organization.

Materials & Tools

  • Fabric (I used burlap) 
  • Staple gun 
  • Canvas (I used one measuring 11 x 140)


Instructions:
  • Iron all of your pieces
  • Lay the canvas on top of your biggest piece to figure out your dimensions. Remember to give yourself enough seam allowance to staple the fabric to the canvas. Here is what I ended up with 
    • Main Fabric: 15 X 18 
    • Big pocket: 16 X 15
    • Small pocket: 12 X 15
  • Take the poket peices and fold them in half. Sew along the folded edge. That way your pocket will be nice crisp. Do this for both pocket pieces

  • Lay the pokets on top of the main peice, then sew along 3 sides of the pocket.

  • Lay the main fabric (with pockets attached) face down. Lay the canvas on top. Make sure to position it so it fits the pockets. 

  • Fold the corners and staple, then proceed to staple all around the canvas until it is nice and sturdy. 

  • Lastly hang it up, stick some mail in there and enjoy the your brilliant work! 

If you give this tutorial a try, let me know how it turns out! I love hearing from you! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...