Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Monogram Candle Holder

I have been making some pretty amazing things lately with the help of my glass etching kit. Its a special cream that is applied to a glass service and gives it a frosted or etched look. I've played around with frosted glass spray before, but the etching cream is superior. Etching is perfect for projects with a lot of detail and washable items. I found that the spray wipes off and is not super durable. So the etching cream is perfect for making custom wine glasses and things like that.



Here is one of my latest projects, a monogramed candle holder. It came out looking pretty snazzy. I stuck in my guest bathroom because it needs a little decor. 

Here is how I made it: 

Materials & Tools:

  • Etching Cream 
  • Contact Paper 
  • Exacto Knife 
  • Glass Vase 
  • Gloves 
  • Foam Brush
  • Candle 

Instructions:




  1. Create your stencil. I went with a monogram, but you can use whatever image you like. I recommend something simple and not very complicated. Draw your design on contact paper and cut it out with your exacto knife. 
  2. Clean your candle holder and then apply your stencil to it. Make sure to press out all of the air bubbles. 
  3. Before applying etching cream, wear protective gloves! That stuff is serious business and can damage your skin. 
  4. Apply a few coats of etching cream over the stencil. 
  5. Allow cream to dry. Some of the manufacturer directions vary, but I found waiting 24 hours gets the best results. 
  6. Take your candle holder and run it under warm water and take off the stencil. You will noticed your design has been etched! 
  7. Fill your candle holder with whatever decorations you would like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...