In my quest to rid my crafting world of this evil box of scraps I started making these neat little holders for sunglasses. It is very simple and quick to make.
First things first though.. you need some of this stuff:
- Sewing Machine
- Scissors or Rotary cutter
|Materials needed, see dimensions below.|
- Exterior fabric
- 2 peices measuring 4 inches wide by 7 1/2 inches high
- 2 pieces of felt material measuring 4 inches wide by 7 1/2 inches high
- 1 piece of fabric 6 inches wide by 1 inch high
Step 1Take one of your exterior pieces and measure where to put the button. I place mine 2 inches from the edge and 1 inch from the top edge. Sew and attach the button.
|Mark where the button will go|
Take your two exterior begin to pin them 1/4 inch from the raw edge. The right sides of the fabric should be together. Pin along three sides and leave the top part open. Sew up along the pinned edges. Then turn inside out.
Repeat this same step with the lining (felt) pieces except only pin along the 7 1/2 inch sides and do not turn inside out.
|The loop is pictured here but you will learn how to make it in the next step!|
Take your loop piece and follow these instructions
|Fold strip in half, then press|
|Open, then fold into 1/4s and press again.|
|Fold, press then sew|
Now it is time to assemble the case.Get all of your pieces together
|Sew the loop to the inside of the exterior piece. Make sure it is on the opposite side of the button. Also sew from inside of the case. (Look a few steps down to get what I am talking about)|
|Insert the exterior piece into the lining|
|Pin all of the pieces together from the inside.|
|This is what I mean when I say sewing from the inside. Its really tricky but go slow and WATCH OUT FOR THOSE NEEDLES! (if you forget one it can damage your machine and give you sad face)|
|Then turn your case inside out.|
|Stitch up that cap in your lining. Then push the lining into the exterior.|
|TA DA! Now you a lovely and stylish place to put your glasses!|
- You can alter the dimensions and apply the same technique to make cases for stuff like phones, Ipads...the sky is the limit!
- When sewing everything together I recommend using a quilt needed or a denim needle (something that can handle sewing threw multiple layers)