Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dr. Seuss & Truffala trees!

In the Children's library world March is associated with a very special birthday, Theodor Geisel (a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)


This year I got to do a few special things. First I made this super awesome bulletin board.
I found this Dr. Seuss quote and loved it, it also fit in the library perfectly. Then I referred one of the Cat in the Hat books and sketched a mock up. I gave to Port Jefferson Library's resident artist, AnnMarie and she make a large scale version and TA -DA! it looks pretty neato

My Dr. Seuss March madness did not end there! If you must know the Lorax feature film was recently released (which I really hate what cinema has done to some Dr. Suess classics but that's besides the point). I figured it would grab the attention of some kiddies so I did a Lorax program! And if you don't know the Lorax.. why he speaks for the trees! So I decided we should make some Truffala trees.

You can to it's really easy! All that you need is:
Construction paper (I used yellow and red)
Glue
Tissue Paper
Stapler

  • I took the red construction paper and made two circles measuring 6 inches
  • Then I stapled them together in three spots and left and opening on the bottom
  • Then kids then decorated the red circle with different colored tissue paper squares (this is the top puffy part of our tree)
  • Then they got to decorate the yellow piece of construction paper that was 8 x 11 inches 
  • After decorating the tree trunk we rolled it up and stapled it then place the puffy part on the top
  • Instant truffala tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...