Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Snowflake Sun-catcher (Library Life)



Here is a simple craft that is perfect for January, the Snowflake Sun-Catcher. Although it hasn't really snowed that much this year, January is when I usually break more winter themed crafts. I saw this technique in the Muppet's Craft Book. In the book they used crayon shavings where I used tissue paper and you still get the same kind of look. This craft is also perfect for the little guys. I did this with ages 2 - 3 and a few older siblings even joined in and made their own! This same technique can also be used to for different occasions such as hearts for Valentines day or even shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day.

Here is how we made the sun-catchers!

Materials & Tools

  • Snowflake shapes 
  • Tissue paper 
  • Glue 
  • Wax paper 
  • Iron 
  • Hole punch
  • Yarn 

Instructions


  • To prepare, I had cut out snowflakes using a die cut machine. I also cut up different colored tissue paper squares. I used the wax paper and cut out circles (big enough to fit the snowflake)


  • Next, glue tissue paper squares to both sides of the snowflake.
  • I set up an 'iron station'. Kids came up after they were done decorating both sides
  • Sandwich the snowflake in between two pieces of wax paper and iron. 

  • Punch a hole and string with yarn and hang them up! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...